BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (4/18/14) — The Western Kentucky University Board of Regents today approved several new academic programs.
The Board approved a new degree type, the associate of science in Nursing. This will align this program, previously referred to as an associate of science degree with a major in Nursing, with nationwide accreditation standards.
The Board also approved:
- A new master of science degree in Psychology, offered by the newly-created Department of Psychological Sciences in the Ogden College of Science Engineering. This degree is based on the Psychological Sciences and Industrial/Organizational concentrations in the master of arts degree. The MA degree retains the concentration in Clinical Psychology.
- A new bachelor of arts degree in Diversity Community Studies, offered by the department of the same name. This is the first major for this relatively new department, formed in 2012.
- An undergraduate certificate in Aging Specialist, a 15-hour certificate intended to prepare graduates for careers in the growing market for health care related to aging.
- An undergraduate minor in Classical Studies, providing students an opportunity to earn a formal minor in this foundational humanities field.
- A reorganization of the University College, renaming the Department of Academic Support as the School of University Studies and reassigning all faculty in the Liberal Arts Sciences Department to the appropriate main campus departments.
- Faculty Emeritus status for Retta Poe in Psychology and John H. Petersen in Political Science.
The Board also honored two long time employees who will retire June 30. Resolutions of appreciation were approved for Freida Eggleton, who has been with WKU since 1971 and spent the last 28 years as Registrar, and John Osborne, who started in 1973 and is now the Vice President for Campus Services and Facilities.The board also approved Registrar Emerita status for Eggleton.
Information provided by WKU News
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.